On being present (and letting go of a few things...)



Life moves so quickly. Suddenly, that week you thought you had to do x, y, and z is gone.
I can't really remember when time didn't move so fast, though. Time has always been a strange thing for me--one week often feels like two or three. Perhaps it is based on how much I experience/do/absorb in that time period.

I have been thinking a lot lately about simplifying. On my days off work, I have a hard time motivating because it feels like there is so much to do. The garden, the house, the studio are all calling my name. I have taken to writing lists for myself again. Schedules. It may seem silly but it simplifies things for me.

That, and getting rid of clutter. Not just personal belongings, but things like social media. I wonder, who is out there? Who is paying attention? Why am I spending my time on this? Reflecting back to my senior year, I remember one of our presenters telling us "Find your outlet, and just focus on that." For him, it was instagram. And it worked for him! With social media, there's this weird pressure to have our names/presence in every space. Facebook, twitter, blogs, flickr, instagram, etc. etc. In the back of my mind, I have been mulling over this (I do that, a lot). Where do I want to be seen? What do I want to spend my time on? What do I want to be known for? Do I really want to spend my time searching for and posting interesting articles that have nothing to do with me? Not necessarily.

So...I'm taking a step back from a few things. I'm refocusing. Twitter is the first to go--it's good for me catching up on news and such, but it's not really where I want to "be." I love facebook for its social aspect, and to be honest I have actually found a lot of opportunities through it (AND I've met some amazing people). I don't know how much time I'll really be spending on it going forward though. Flickr is interesting but has already fallen to the backburner.

What I want to put out to the world is images, and words. I want to show you what I'm making--and be known for it. I want to "talk" to you (whoever "you" is) and write. I'm not a writer per se, but I have always explored through words. Now that time is so precious, I want to make it quality time. It's all about prioritizing, my dears. What do you prioritize?

As for what I have actually been doing with my time....
At the top, you'll see an image of some new explorations. I was trying to create a hollow form for a special project--at first I played in paper clay (I am definitely not a ceramicist), then moved on to sheet metal, and finally to this lighter version in wire.


I am making a few things to have at Silverado Portland soon--earrings galore! Exploring ideas old and new, and playing with my signature shape. Above are Spirit Earrings at their beginnings.


Explorations with my signature shape.

 And, exciting news--my dear friend Eddie Miranda has been joining me in the studio lately for some collaborations! Eddie is a woodworker and luthier, but has some experience in metalsmithing. It's been so nice having someone else to share the space with.

CONVERSATION

Back
to top